For anyone who is interested, I will give a five minute demonstration, with no written instructions, of how to use a Manson gauge, at the Northeast Side by Side Shoot or the Fall Southern Side by Side shoot. Using the earlier poster's suggestion of the tool box and bungee cord, no helper is neccesary. The tool demonstrated by Damascus is a wonderful invention and I am interested to see it in action. To correct a couple of comments, the Manson gauge is used horizontally, the Manson gauge does not have to be adjusted for different barrels. However, the Manson gauge is not light, it weighs 48 ounces and will not fit in your pocket. The Manson gauge will measure any point of your barrel from breech or muzzle to 16 inches into the bore either way. If you want it to measure 9 inches, you can saw off the bars seven inches and reinstall them in the block. I never meant to critique the gauge being discussed in this thread, I only meant to correct the posters' comments that the Manson gauge cannot be used horizontally and that it comes in an expensive box. I didn't expect such a reaction.