I have previously fit Deeley pull-down latch style forend irons on several pattern machined stocks. The previous machined forends had the pin holes bored. So when I fit the forend iron to the wood, I inletted the iron from the action end forward towards the muzzle end of the wood. When I had the forend iron inletted far enough forward so the pin holes in the forend iron lined up with the pin holes bored through the wood I figured the iron was far enough forward. I then inlet the Deeley latch from the bottom of the forend up towards the barrels, until the pins are set at the same depth as the original forend. This process seemed to work ok.

The current stock I am working on was machined without the pin holes getting bored by the pattern machinest (tried a different pattern machine guy). So I am now thinking I need to start inletting the Deeley latch first - get it inletted most of the way down. Use that as a guide to drill the pin holes. Then inlet the forend iron from the action end forward towards the muzzles until the pin holes line up. Then finish up getting the Deeley latch inletted to final depth. Can anyone with experience offer ideas on the correct sequence?

The next project has a forend with an Anson push-rod style forend. I am told that fitting the escutcheon on the muzzle end of the forend is difficult - kepping it oriented properly in the x and y axis. I envision the sequence as getting the forend iron inlet all the way, back at the action end of the forend. Then making a temporary extended push rod that I can use as a guide to keep the escutcheon straight and on the correct x and y axis as I inlet the escutcheon from the muzzle end back towards the action. Once again, can anyone with experience offer a good procedure for fitting the escutcheon?

Forester