Stan,

Thanks for the great thread and pictures. When I read it, it made me think of an article I read from Outdoor Life that's about a guy who designed a dove field with just one acre - from April of 2011. I kept the article and would be interested in your or anyone else's thoughts about it. It's posted below - hopefully good enough for all to read, but here are the basic desciption of the article:

In the fall he plants a few rows of winter wheat. In Mid April, he plants a field of sunflowers and keeps it weed free all summer. 2 weeks before Dove season, he mows the winter wheat and lets the heads fall to feed the Doves. 10 days before the season, he mows the sunflower field, but leaves some rows in the middle standing for the hunters to hide in. Then he tills some of the ground between the wheat and the mowed sunflowers - giving the doves some bare earth to loaf on. He hunts only between 4 and 6 pm - just the fringe of what uses the field in the day, so the birds don't avoid the field when their going out in te morning or coming back in the evening.

Toughts?

Sincerely,
Patrick