Bill,

I am one of the engravers mentioned who frequents this site. Until the recent past, few German engravers signed their work unless it was being done for export and a signature was requested. The German gunmakers and dealers only wanted their own name on the gun and the engravers were considered just another tradesman. There are still gunmakers in Germany and Austria who do not want the engraver to sign the work.

The pictures of your gun aren't the best for identification but from what I can see the engraving is very well done and of a high order, especially the relief sculpted gamescene (jagdszenen). The scrollwork is known here commonly as "German scroll" but is called "druck Englisch" by Suhl trained engravers.

When it comes to the identification of German engravers by looking at the work, it is very difficult because in the pre-WWII period the apprenticeship and training was so strict and ridgid that, to a large degree, the work of one master looked like that of another. Also most figures and scenes were done from well established traditional patterns.

The only person that I know who can identify the work of various German engravers is Hendrik Frühauf who lives in Breitenbach, Germany. Not only is Hendrik one of the finest engravers in Europe, he has exceptional knowledge and records of deceased German engravers. Hendrik does occasionally visit the GGCA web forum but I don't think he visits this one.

My advice is to take the best focused and detailed pictures of all engraved parts of the gun and e-mail them to Hendrik at this address: hf@gebrueder-fruehauf.de and let us know what you learn.

Regards,
Roger

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com