Hi all I think after getting to the end of this project I should restate a few things.

The gauges primary function is to check the barrel wall thickness at the BRITISH STANDARD PROOF DISTANCE OF 9 INCHES FROM THE STANDING BREACH FACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The gauge is not at all intended for checking the total internal barrel length for pitting or flaws, it is an aid in helping you decide how to proceed, firstly you measure the wall thickness at 9 inches and it is lets say it is X thousands of an inch your decision now is how much metal would be left in the barrel walls if the marks or pitting where to be removed and would it be safe to use or sell?
Or how thick are the walls of this gun at 9 inches from the breach face given that there are no marks or pitting in the bore? Depending on the wall thickness is there a high probability it has been back bored to remove pitting or marking?

DO I PURCHASE THIS GUN YES/NO ?

Also the primary design criteria for the gauge was that it could be used without the need to break down a gun to check the barrels independently, and most importantly can I undertake to check the wall thickness of the barrels at 9inches without the help of another person holding the gun.YES! It does that perfectly.
And finally can I put it in a coat pocket? It will also do that for you to!! It is primary purpose in life was to be used at gun sales and auctions to make that decision do I take an interest in this gun or walk past it, there are a plethora of other tools for inspecting gun barrels at leasure in the comfort of your own home or workshop.

Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!