zeroing the Gauge

Now comes the most important procedure zeroing the gauge, to start align the dial gauge point and its opposite point on the limb that enters the bore there is no reason at this stage to try to zero the gauge. You next suspend the gauge from two fixed points (I use two nails driven into the front face of a shelf) one close to the measuring zero point and one next to the stabilizer/bearing point. This causes the limb that enters the barrel to flex because of the weight of the gauge, it is only now that you can truly zero the gauge by moving the dial indicator closer or further away from the zero point on the limb that enters the barrel. This is the result of that lesson given to me in the workshop by that rather rotund engineer all those years before no matter how strong the object if you apply a weight it will flex. Zeroing the gauge is a bit of a trial especially when using the thinner barrel limb used for the smaller bores but being able to zero the gauge easily will come with a little practice.
To take a reading at all you just push the gauge into the barrel as far as the 9 inch mark and take your hand away gravity will do the rest!

For those who are making this gauge I do hope all goes well. I have been thinking about what to call this effort of mine and I do think a "MARRIOTT GAUGE" should fit the bill.

Good luck Damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!