Phillip,

I purchased the same PMC 40-65 ammo for the correct headstamp to use in my 40-65 rolling block with Badger barrel and was going to reuse the fired brass for black powder shooting, I fired one box, 20 rounds and they leaded up the .4085" bore of my rifle very badly (couple hours work to get it out). I have fired many rounds of cast bullet ammo through this rifle using reformed Winchester 45-70 brass, both black and smokeless loads with no leading.

Pulled one round down to see what was going on and found the bullets to only be about .406" in diameter and very hard. Ended up pulling the rest of the bullets and using the brass after neck sizing and expanding, then reloading with black powder and larger diameter bullets, NO Leading at all with the correct size .410", 415gr 20:1 alloy bullets. Hope you have better luck in your rifle, but if I was you I'd fire one or two rounds and check your bore for leading before firing a bunch of them.

The small OD bullets might shoot well in the smaller bore size barrels, I think one manufacturer makes .406" bore diameter barrels, but I doubt it the bullets are very hard and loaded with light loads of what looks like 4198 powder.

Wanted to include photo of one tub of the pulled bullets, but for some reason am having problems loading photo.

MJT

Originally Posted By: Phillip Carr
Ken,

I would be intreasted in any favorite loads you used. I ended up buying actually 200 rounds of PMC 40-65 for $200.00. I plan on reloading after I shoot up these shells. I jhave been told that the facory PMC loads are a little disapointing. I also understand that the twist is 1 in 18 so I believe I can shoot the heavier bullets. All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks Phil