Proposed law in the Connecticut legislature:

General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 122

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 543

Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY

Introduced by:

SEN. MEYER, 12th Dist.

AN ACT CONCERNING RESTRICTIONS ON GUN USE.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That the general statutes be amended to establish a class C felony offense, except for certain military and law enforcement personnel and certain gun clubs, for (1) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate, transport, possess or use any gun except one made to fire a single round, (2) any person to fire a gun containing more than a single round, (3) any person or organization to receive from another state, territory or country a gun made to fire multiple rounds, or (4) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate or possess a magazine or clip capable of holding more than one round.

Statement of Purpose:

To reduce the use of guns for criminal purposes.

My letter to Mr. Meyer:

Sen. Meyer,

I must respectfully share with you my concern and surprise after reading SB 122. As a law abiding citizen, and a responsible gun owner, I find your bill to be reactionary and punitive. To outlaw all firearms, but single shot firearms, is render an end to hunting, sport shooting (skeet, sporting clays, trap shooting, target shooting) and a citizens ability to defend his or her self or family. To introduce a law that would effectively make tens of thousands of Connecticut citizens criminals is short sighted and an example of the basest of political pandering. The horrific events at Sandy Hook need to be dealt with in an effective and comprehensive manner, not in a reactionary, knee jerk reaction. Not to mention that your proposed law flies on the face of the US Constitution, which as a lawyer you should understand.

I considered you a reasoned and prudent lawmaker (for whom I've cast a ballot)....until I read SB 122. I hereby withdraw my support from you in future races, as well as pledge to work to elect any other candidate that chooses to run against you. I will encourage my family, friends and acquaintances to do likewise.

You disappointed me, Mr. Meyer.

Respectfully,

David Ardito