"Don't Be Shy !!" Has helped in dealing w RIA. You probably know it but no harm repeating. My method. Call a week or two early and ask them to inspect the gun in-hand. Don't just call on impulse- Have ready your list of 20 or more specific questions and just go through them thoroughly to your satisfaction. Ask about EVERY part on the firearm! Ask double/triple "r u sure?!" about checking for stock cracks in the usual places. I even ask them to pull a rifle from the stock to check to see if there are any splits/fractures developing around the mag/trigger areas... Call back later if the guy can't/won't (but they ought to honor someone else to do this). Get your helper's name and write it down w the time of your call. If the guy doesn't seem to be able to answer, ask him to ask another associate to help out. If you're serious about bidding after weighing all the unknowns, send them a confirming email immediate which references every Q&A as well as documents who you spoke with and the time of your call. Now you have an argument if things weren't represented. Remember, they now made an express representation on that auction item and you've documented the explicit "condition report." I have had great success being deliberate with the questions and simply insisting they produce someone who can answer the questions. Very happy w a 7mm mauser won through them with nothing misrepresented.