I could easily be mistaken, but I find myself hard pressed to believe it is a Modell 40 as it looks to be a Modell 14. Sauer 117715 is somewhat similar, with a Greener safety, xxxU stamp on the tube, has the DRGM around the cocking indicator as well as firearms merchant D.S. Spaulding(Cadena 23, Mexico, D.F.) atop the rib. Also I am curious where S,D&G drew the line for referring to a scattergun as a Daly or a Sauer. It seems that if a scattergun had Sauer on it, it was referred to as a Sauer gun. By the early 1900s(possibly earlier) S,D&G donated either a Daly or a Sauer gun for the trophy at a shooting match. In 1906 for example up till April 14th, all the eager contestants were shooting for a Daly then the prize was a Sauer gun. I believe it was September 8th for the final match for the Sauer. I'm sure the prize would not have been the $1k U.S. of A. Sauer available at the time or the top Daly, but on certain events a similar Sauer to Craig's just might have been the prize. By 1908 Daly liked to see articles/adverts similar to the following:

For the time, I don't know what the entry fee might have been for such events but about the same time the entry fee for a schoolboy for a similar event, probably a T.W. Stake scattergun as the prize, was $0.20.

How long is the water table and what does the knuckle resemble?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse