I am looking for a pigeon gun for SCs and occasional waterfowling. I came across this Gallyon - 30" barrels choked F/F with 3" chambers, recent 1.75 oz (not a typo) proofs, 7.75 lbs, flat rib, third lockup, flat stock. Made in 1951, it appears to be in great shape and was owned by a well-known UK field writer (relevant to me only because it suggests the gun was likely well cared for). The gun is exactly what I am looking for - a well-built, no-nonsense gun that costs about the same as a new RBL 12, can be used at the range and in a blind without undue concern, and can digest modern waterfowl loads.

Here is the question - the seller (a "brand name" UK dealer) tells me that the action bears an AA Brown stamp indicating that the gun was made by them. This is plausible because I have come across at least a couple of similar AA Brown boxlocks. However, the gun is priced at a premium over comparable B'ham boxlock pigeon guns that I have been looking at (though none had proofs over 1 1/4 oz, which is a big benefit when trying to find nontox waterfowl loads). Assuming this gun was in fact made by AA Brown, is that alone worth paying a premium for?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Last edited by Doverham; 09/11/12 03:39 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.