Salopian;

I do believe your last statement rings true! I believe one can improve one's shooting with instruction. I know from experience though, not every shooter is receptive to changing what they perceive works well for them.

I witnessed several separate to change a shooter's style during the commission of a custom project. I was a supporting party during the sessions. The results were less than pleasant. The customer didn't wish to change their style of shooting. In the day of litigation minded people,(it became evidentto me anyway) pleasing the customer and making the stock fit their style was better for business.

I do encourage people to improve and take lessons from qualified people and am willing to use other fitter's measurments in building custom guns. I do believe in try-guns (I have built three for other companies) and I do believe that the customer being in your house is the best possible experience for both fitter and client. However IMO, today many people don't wish to travel to out of the way craftsmen. So, I use this method and it has worked well. If one travels to the client, the trade off is no working time on the bench to meet the demand of work. Of course a happy client is much better for business than an unhappy one.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member