Utah:

I assume you are still in Penn? I'll have to run thru my notes, but one will find Mefferts with stamps like Treff DRGM 71381, Hubertus Gewehr 32200, and combinations. I realize yours is a double but I have see more examples adapted to drillings. I haven't found the DRGM just yet but I assume it applies to the metal block that houses what I guess would be called coil hammers. Then the selected coil hammer engages a striker, etc. Some refer to it as a breech battery which is attached to the top tang with the for sure turned screws as seen in your example. Note the cocking dogs activate a common one piece cocker, which is held in readiness with that little spring. The design is supposed to have well regulated, light & crip triggers but as evident by your example & others I've seen someone wanted to get into the mechanism for some reason. Maybe the springs on the coil hammers was broken. I do know that on drillings sometimes the motion of the selector will release the striker on the lower tube. So all has to be in correct working order. If the DRGM 71381 applies to it, the design would originate from the mid to late 1890s and sources give the design was abandoned circa 1929 but I've seen examples dated as late as 1931. Your double dates from post 1912 to 1923. Can you snap an image of the area from the flats forward to the forend lug? The Crossed Cannons Krupp stamp is common on Meffert offerings if Heinrich Ehrhardt's steel stamp isn't present.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse