Originally Posted By: jack maloney
JM: the letter is dated July 12, 1968. By the time that letter was written, most of the GCA language had been wrangled over for years and was already in place. So why did Dodd, after 7 years of working on gun control legislation (he started in 1961), suddenly ask for a copy of the Nazi law?

Well then, if the law was already crafted long before this time, then why was the Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delingquency, which Dodd chaired, meeting on July 8th, 9th, and 10th in 1968 as dated on the Subcommittee Transcript that is on record at the Library of Congress? You don't meet on an investigative committee when the law as you claim was already written. The committee to investigate should have completed its work by then and submitted its findings to the Judiciary Committee if the law was already written. Also, no one is claiming that Dodd started the GCA'68 with this law, but he certainly ended with it. What official documentation do you have that Dodd was working on this bill for 7 years?

Probably because Rep. John Dingell, in a hearing before Dodd's committee, compared the proposed legislation to the 1938 Nazi law! If you were accused of copying something, wouldn't you want to take a look at it?

That does not answer my question. Why would Dingel compare the proposed bill to NLW'38 if they are not similar?

Answer me straight up: Have you read both of these laws and compared them side by side?

Yes, I have copies of all three laws, and I have read them. So, let's start discussing the individual laws section by section. Which one do you want to start with. Name the law and secion so there's no misunderstanding.

Last edited by JM; 02/27/07 10:32 PM.