If we can take the story at face value as told, the widow is reasonably well off, living in a relatively wealthy enclave. Her husband had the wherewithal to have a Perazzi and a pair of Purdey's cased. She didn't ask either the friend in the story or the couple for any advice about what the guns were worth. The price was set. Household articles had been being sold for a while and this sale took place near the end, implying others before these three had looked at the guns.

The woman, widow and aged or not, chose not to get the guns valued. She set her own price. She had them for sale in front of numerous people (we can infer) before a deal was struck by the couple. I suspect, although not part of the story, that there were other household articles of fine quality she was selling.

While I would not have attempted to haggle over price with her had it been me, I see nothing wrong with the transaction as it was described. Certainly nothing that warrants the purchaser being labeled a GD thief.

I think Mr Lomas and Mr Newbern have it right. There was no theft and no one was misled. Unless she was suffering from Alzheimer's, she would have had the knowledge and resources to get a proper appraisal. She chose not to.

Being female or being widowed is no excuse for not making some effort to be informed.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/21/12 02:38 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia