This is what I did. I bought a gun in Paris. I left it with the dealer while I waited for the Form 6 which I applied for thru a local gun shop here in Philly for $20. I did all the paper work, the Feds even mailed the approval direct to my house. Next time I was in Paris I picked the gun up and brought it as luggage back to the US. Paid the custom fee at the airport, they kept part of the Form 6. All very easy and straightforward. However, it wouldn't be possible to do something similar in Britain. A dealer there cannot just let you take the gun away with you unless you have a shotgun certificate and you also will need a export permit. Nevertheless I'm not sure that if you just showed up at a UK airport with your gun and cert. they would even ask for an export permit. Lots of UK sportsmen take their guns abroad for sport in the normal course of events. It must be assumed that they will be bringing them back also. I constantly fly back and forth to Ireland with a shotgun. The only place I've ever been asked to show some paper was at JFK and that was rather strange. Two NYC policemen inspected the gun, even looking thru the barrels and shining a light into the bottom of the leg of mutton case and all this right at the check in counter. They had me stand over ten feet away while they carried on these shenanigans. I just knew that all I had to do was start laughing to find myself in trouble. What fun the war on terror has turned out to be.
nial