Keith, I have no doubt that the world appears black-and-white to a significant number of people, perhaps (I don't know) you are among them but it really isn't. I know many people who are fiscally conservative, socially conservative, want to balance the budget but not on the backs of the working poor and who are also pro-gun control. Many of them also want single-payer health care because that would make our economy a lot more competitive internationally. They also vote Republican whenever possible (read no santorum, no Gingrich). I know many (myself included) liberals who are very active hunters and shooters. Many of us don't understand why illegal immigration cannot be stopped and we don't like the colonization of our country. How would you classify the guy with whom I hunt the most - a former Marine, two Purple Hearts (Vietman), very Left socially and fiscally, an active Zionist who wants to bomb Iran, support Bloomberg's efforts to get guns out of NYC, wants to keep illegals out of the country?

Here's an interesting table (Table 2.8) that might challenge some of your assumptions (of course, I am assuming your assumptions! wink :

http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1729/H...GUN-OWNERS.html

If the entire table isn't simply a fabrication then it is reasonable to conclude there are strong social forces that support gun ownership.

And I don't need to call people with whom I disagree "stupid" - most people aren't.