Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Interesting Lefaucheux action combo with the triggerguard bow left over from the muzzle-loading era. The artistic design was to turn form into function in that it was used as a rest for gunning early on. I think it was sourced from Suhl but I really need to see if there are any markings on the underside of the tubeset. I don't know that I've seen that many Lefaucheux actions that sport the Deeley & Edge forend fastner of 1873, so it would have been manufactured after that. I think Heilbronn was part of the Königreich Württemberg as one of the Hellmann mechanics, Heinrich or O., was a supplier to that court or reside in that kingdom. Heilbronn was wadded up under the German Empire umbrella in 1871 and then was the locale for the salt mines where the Germans hid the art they commandeered. I would guess O. Hellmann to be a son or younger brother to Heinrich Hellmann and Axel might have additional info as well as their telephone number. H. Hellmann seems to have hung out his shingle in the percussion era, active as early as the last 1830s and O. Hellmann followed later. It may be that Jacob Waltz sourced Heinrich Hellmann before immigrating to Arizona to search for gold or it may be folklore and a Jacob Waltz shotgun was a derogatory term for a German scattergun. But like I said interesting and what is most interesting is the 1st couple inches of the unfigured steel tube. Is that an odd, original profile? My 1st guess is for the 0.43" Mauser. Nice horn work on the underlever.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Danke!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..