I would posit that the horn grip addition was an attempt to copy what became known as the Eschen(sp?)Grip, pioneered by Fred Eschen, who was Rudy's father, who is Joel's dad. Fred wrote a treatise on shooting and was a very strong advocate of the more pronounced grip angle for better gun control in target & flyer shooting. He was also a very fine shot and coach and was active & well known & respected during the time frame this gun was made & being used.

FWIW, Rudy became known as 'Mr. 870' and was simply incredible as a shooter for Remington and a fine gentleman as well. I want to say that Fred ran/managed a rather exclusive gun club in Florida before the depression, but I may not be remembering that correctly. Rudy, I spoke with on a number of occasions. Fred was before my time, but I have his book & think it is quite possible the owner of this gun did as well.

edit: It is also possible that the original owner of the gun visited the club where Fred managed & instructed, but that will have to fall into the bucket of pure speculation, though it is not outside the realm of reasonable. Whoever that gun belonged to originally, they had means.

Last edited by tw; 04/02/12 01:13 AM. Reason: add last paragraph