Original condition guns, as a religious value is like virginity, overrated.
While I cannot and do not encourage immorality, if the gun as is, is unusable it is reasonable to make it right. While some changes to original condition take away from a gun. Done right I encourage anyone thinking of changing a gun to carefully consider the effects. Yes one of the effects is resale, another of the effects, which I value most, is utility. Can I shoot the gun well or not.
The question of spending money that cannot be recovered at resale is a tough one. You seldom get what you don’t pay for, and often failed to receive what you did pay for. The value lost by changing the “original” gun is part of the cost of gaining performance. Only the buyer can determine how much they are willing to pay for increased performance.
I believe that guns are meant to be used. For some the use is holding them in a nice gun room and looking at them. For some it is on a range. For some it is in the field. For the latter two, gun fit may or may not matter. A poorly fitted gun might only cost you a few birds out of 50, or it may make a gun unshootable. It is a personal choice as to how much you can afford to spend and not recover.
As for buying guns that are not original, it is a matter of taste and what you value.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS