Mr. Dup

This post was started by a gentleman wanting an "opinion" on CSMC Fox shotguns. My Websters dictionary defines opinion as "a belief not based on absolute certainty or positive knowledge but what seems true, valid or probable to ones own mind" and I think my response accurately reflects this definition.

I agree with you 100% that engraving choice or wood selection has nothing to do with "build quality" unless the wood selection results in a structurally unsound blank.

I've wanted a CSMC Fox gun since Tony had a display @ the 1993 Grand American & I've looked at over a dozen guns since then & I've seen some very nice ones & some that in my opionion suffered build quality issues. Like I said before, each one needs to be evaluated on its own merit. I actually did give up on finding one that suited me in both "build quality" and configuration & despite my concerns, ordered & put a deposit on a CE grade in September 2009 at the Vintage cup. Part of the deal I made was that they were to send me 3 stock blanks to choose from. They sent me only 1 blank. A very beautiful blank but one that was very poorly grained in the head & wrist which I regected. Over the next 4 months I was repeatedly told they would send additional blanks. By the end of January 2010 I had still not received additional blanks s & was tired of fooling around & I cancled my order. To CSMC's credit they promptly refunded my deposit & someome else got to build my new shotgun. That is why I don't own one.

BTW I do own a CSMC Model 21 which has a few quality issues but is basically a good gun so I'm not anti CSMC. I just think this board is a place to post experiences & "opinions" both positive & negative so that people can make informed decisions based on their formed "opinions".