This forend latch question has led me to something I've been wondering for a while - two things actually.

First, I realize this was a time of fast-paced experimentation and clearly a sort of darwinian logic prevailed, but who in their right mind would think the Hackett snap-on forend from 1878 is a better mousetrap than the Anson (1872) or Deeley (1873)? I mean, this thing comes along, five or six years after two wonderful mechanical mechanisms were perfected, that you have to slap into place and pry off. I have Ford I dearly love, but it's only flaw is that lego-like forend.

Second, lets say its 1895 and time for me to get a new trio. Im a traditionalist, like my hero Lord Ripon, so I stroll into Audley House and order up some damascus hammerguns. Can I also request the Grip forend latch? I believe it would have been a non-standard piece of hardware for Purdey. Would that route the hardware thorough to a different craftsman, maybe even someone not onsite at Purdey? Or, would they have convinced me their standard Anson was a better/only choice?

I realize neither have a definitive answer, but Im interested in thoughts and wonder if anyone has found any documentation based on research theyve done for their more unusual gun configurations.