Friends, what is partisan to some may not be to others. I contributed an opinion of constitutional rights and gave examples where infringements may be in national interests. Constitutions aren't sacrosanct. No matter how beautifully written or emblazoned in words of gold, they cannot and have not been guarantors of peace, order and good government. Citizens usually express their wills through Congress and Parliaments, and the examples I gave did not raise a gnat's eyelash of debate in federal and lower legislatures.

My posts were intended to bring another perspective to the sanctity of constitutions and amendments where they apply to gun control. I was interested in a member's reference to the 2nd's value against tyrannical governments. We've seen the limits of military power in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and the power of people who wouldn't take it any more in Arab Spring. We may not like the outcomes but we've learned at horrific cost that changing regimes and cultures are different things.

Obviously I put my faith in people before constitutions. I've said here several times that the United States always gets it right over time. While it may seem partisan to some members, it is fact that our neighbour and closest friend and the one I prefer for its magnanimity and generosity has changed in a few years from pariah in foreign affairs to having the deserved respect of the world. Call it partisan, call it what you will, look out the window---it's true as Elsies being good guns.

Last edited by King Brown; 02/12/12 12:56 PM.