Originally Posted By: keith
Gnomon,I do not believe that you will find one guy here on either side of this issue who wants felons to be able to own firearms. Please read Canvasback's excellent posts about what the anti's have accomplished in Canada. If you take the time to learn about the goals and agenda of the anti-gun organizations and operatives in the United States, you can see that their vision is to take us down the same path as Canada, Great Britain, Australia, etc. In truth, their vision goes further to a place where whole classes of firearms are immediately banned from use, possession and manufacture...

Keith - I shortened your post for the sake of brevity - no need to make people scroll thru it. Thank you for taking the time to respond to what you perceive of my "ignorance" but I can assure you that I have taken the time to learn about the "antis" - it's just that I reach different conclusions and behave and vote differently than you. I have no delusions that there are not people who want to disarm us. Canvas' post was interesting and a good explication of a Canadian's perspective but as a hunting visitor to Canada I have always had an easy time including air travel with my guns. I realize it isn't the same and not what Canvas was talking about but nonetheless that is my experience.

In the past few years (yes, during Obama's administration) we have experienced a resurgence of gun rights and the only gun hysteria seems to have come from the far right. We are not facing a "gun-grabbing" crisis in the coming election - we are facing a crisis where the presidency of the United States might be bought and paid for by 3 or 4 people, some of whom have loyalties to other sovereign nations. That scares me - not some noisy anti-gun people.

Most of the people I hunt and shoot with are pretty liberal. And we are serious gun owners. I own 8 SxS shotguns, all European; (one of these days I might get a Parker) and 3 rifles, also European, and 3 handguns. Despite stringent gun laws the Europeans make some damn fine guns and rifles.

So Keith, I am active in the shooting world and do know about the politics of gun control and am not the babe in the woods that you suppose me to be.

Anyway, I do thank you for the time you took to comment on my post!