That would be my fear of the US Government bureaucratic system regulating our sport. The BATF regulates the National Firearms Act and usually does a good job. Occasionally there are the well meaning or perhaps self serving AFT bureaucrats and agents who interrupt the NFA and AFT regulations to meet their ideals. We hear those stories and sometimes so does a US Congressional committee. Need I say more?

As Buzz properly stated, a breach failure could kill or maim severely. A commercial proof house to proof guns to either what they were designed to shoot, or at the owners choice, to modern proof pressure would be a good option for some people and guns.

A Government mandated proof program would do nothing more than fail and destroy many of our old guns or perhaps any guns with a lengthened forcing cone! I would not trade our US Government for that of our British friends, but I think the Brits bureaucrats must understand not to mess with something that works. If the British Government were smart they would start a program to efficiently, and a reasonable cost accept guns from the USA for proof and return to the US. Think about it? The Brits dont mess with a good thing like proofing guns but because of either their importation or postal regulations, severely restrict US gun owners from doing so. Or are the restrictions those of our own US Government that choke off the export/import process? If the US Government cant even reasonably allow a long gun to be exported to and return imported from Britain for proofing why would anyone trust it to regulate a national gun proofing program?

Lets leave well enough alone,
Mark

Last edited by MarkOue; 12/27/11 08:53 AM.

USMC Retired