Originally Posted By: L. Brown

....Why, after all, would any honest, upright individual want to give or sell such a gun to someone else? The individual to whom he gives or sells the gun may well not be aware of the potential danger unless he tells them. That gun is essentially a wall-hanger unless or until it passes proof.

As far as "American proofhouses" go . . . one more time: American gunmakers already proof their guns. Have done so for a very long time. And we also have a cooperative professional organization (SAAMI) to which all American arms and ammo makers belong. But they do not proof guns. As for individual gunsmiths . . . yes, they could fire proof loads in a gun (assuming they could either get their hands on or make those loads, as did Bell and Armbrust in some of their destruction tests). But even a knowledgeable gunsmith lacks the equipment and the experience to do what a proofhouse does....

Hi Larry, couldn't help but wonder about the nonanswers.

If I started off on the right track, why is it a wall hanger. The old family heirloom is completely original. Must have been proofed when made, right. You imposed your ideology and opinion on your uncle bob, and now he has some splain'in to do to the atf. Also, you never mentioned why your judgement should be consider sound if you desire to pass a gun on to an heir, while others need consumer protecting.

There was an earlier comment about leading a horse to water. I didn't mention bubba and a tire. If your comments mean anything to you, I led you to a scientific ballistic lab that supposedly will properly proof a firearm. I figure there're a couple dozen 'I'd do it if it were here' comments in this thread. Let's step up and give 'em some business so they'll expand the operation and we can suggest teaming up with saami for additional credibility.