Originally Posted By: lagopus
... But you have no way of checking a gun's safety after it has been messed around with by some back yard 'gunsmith' but for some odd reason you feel uncomfortable about some system where you can go and check (voluntarily, not compulsory) to see if it is safe or not. A bit like flying in an aeroplane that has no air worthiness certificate but you feel o.k. because it has still got two wings and someone has been round and kicked the tyres. Even with the certificate the plane might crash due to pilot error but I'd still like to know it is in a safe condition to fly in in the first place. Lagopus.....

With all due respect, an airworthiness certificate is issued at the time of registration. The certificate remains with that airplane for the life of the plane or until revoked thru an overt action by the regulator. Possession of an airworthiness certificate is in no way an indication of the actual condition of the airplane. The airplane can be "messed with" to no end if someone wants to ignore regulations. It happens in general aviation all the time. It even happens on major airlines. You've seen it in the news when it's a big deal. Like any laws, compliance is only as good as the people.

Condition of a gun, like condition of an airplane or any other machinery, is verified by inspection and/or test. Licensed proof house systems are one way of assuring a competent source for the inspections/tests. They are not the only way to verify the condition of a gun.

I'm not opposed to the existance of proof houses, but I am opposed to any regulatory action to mandate such a system. If someone thinks they can make money establishing a proof house in the USA, have at it. There are plenty of standards they can use without any further regulation.