The Big Problem many seem to be overlooking here (although it has been mentioned) in comparing the US with England is the Brit's proof laws pre-date the breech loader. One can take a gun proofed in England from virtually any date & state what its original bore size & chamber length was, NOT SO in the US.

"IF" this proof was not made retro-active nothing would be accomplished,
"IF" it were made retro-active, Friend, you are opening a Pandoras's box of trouble.

My ca 1889 10 Ga Lefever Arms Co has an oversize bore (common on early Lefevers) & 3" chambers. "WHO" would determine if I went to sell it, if it would need proofing.
Similar situation with a ca 1910 16 Ga with 3" chambers, though standard bore.

3" shells are currently unavailable in either GA & to the best of my knowledge were "Never" a "Standard" in either. As has been pointed out these early "Long" chambered guns were not intended for "Magnum" loads, so for what would they have to be currently proofed.

Personally I feel the odds are these guns are both "Factory" originals, but if I sold them without proofing under the proposed laws, would I be subject to prosecution, if someoe else decided they had been modified.

A Very laarge amount of thought better be given to this subject before jumping on the band wagon, otherwise you just might get a "Tiger by the Tail" & not know how to turn him loose.

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/13/11 10:32 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra