Originally Posted By: buzz
Lagopus is spot on. I buy British guns that are in proof because it sets a high standard of safety the consumer can have confidence in....

...This really got me thinking about how we have no checks and balances with altered guns here in the USA and that this incident probably would not have happened in the UK because the gun would not have passed proof...

Hi Doc, not a one person here would confirm that a proof house would accept one bit of responsibility. Say Tony's Clarke was being shot by an inexperienced shooter who didn't notice an off sound. That barrel may have filleted open within a couple of boxes of being proofed. Again, I'd have a little bit of faith that Tony didn't fire that gun with an obstruction in it. Plus, if one knew there was an obstruction in a barrel, why send it off to anyone to confirm the obvious.

I truly do appreciate the comments of those who deal with the proof houses regularly. It confirms that what works well in the UK should be resisted vigorously in the US. If anyone looks over a gun, doesn't see a proof mark, they can then conclude that the gun is both original and safe. Good luck.

Last edited by craigd; 12/09/11 06:40 PM.