Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
12 gauge "clumsy" auf eine drie schrottenflinten mit ein gewjeren lauf?? I beg to differ. Old "Fetter Junge" Herman Goring selected 12 gauge Krieghoff Drillings- German worden-Drie- three- for his beloved Luftwaffe survival gun kits for his pilots- only a few have surfaced- I have seen and handled one (and translated the Feldbuch that comes in the aluminum case with separate parachute rig) for its new owner- beautiful. Old Herman was a major league gun and art collector- you can bet your last Strudel that he got the very first one made- and probably shot it at Karinhall--

RWTF,

I don't mean to be at all argumentative with my statement, I was just giving my own opinion. Your example however, supports my statement precisely. I suggested the gentleman get a 16 gauge drilling because they stand a higher chance of handling like a shotgun and that they can be found with 27" barrels. The luftwaffe drilling you speak of in 12 gauge is a survival gun and it had 24" 12 gauge barrels. Just what someone would want if they were literally stuck on a desert island but not a particularly light and elegant gun, nor one that would really handle like a modern shotgun.

12 gauge drillings abound and they are lovely guns for their intended European purposes. (I think they call that type of hunting form "Jagged-something"?) They were never engineered to be upland game guns with light chokes and a graceful swing. They were classic, 24" barreled "buck and ball" guns designed to provide a shot for hares, roe deer, boar and larger game. They were built to be rifles and they handle accordingly.

Just my opinion but I think I'd welcome your counterpoint as would the gentleman taking in all views as he tries to find his first drilling.

Respectfully,

Rookhawk