The thing is that the laws we are talking about have been passed for the protection of plants or animals which are in trouble because of commercial exploitation. As sportsmen it seems to me that we ought to be in favor of the enforcement of these rules. The connection to "blood diamonds" is that the poaching and illegal export of these items is often based in troubled areas of the world and the profits are supporting terrorists or other 'bad guys'.

I believe the deal on ivory is that its illegal to sell or to transport across international borders unless it is documented as pre-ban. Probably, exotic wood from endangered species or populations of trees works the same way. Same thing with furs or body parts (tiger or rhino parts and bear galls come to mind) of endangered or protected species.

Enforcement as mentioned in this thread seems to be targeting commercial violations. I don't think the highway Patrol is going to bother you about your ivory gear shift, jOe. The Feds don't like gun shows anyhow and since they are commercial in nature, I would not be surprized to see enforcement efforts directed at gun show sales of doubles with ivory beads. I guess the lesson here is that if you're selling an old gun with what you know are ivory sights or enlays you better be ready to prove the age of the gun...Geo