The crown stamp on the right is an almost exact image of the Prussian Crown of Frederick the I, and of Frederick the Great.

The one on the left is most assuredly NOT the Imperial Crown of the German Kaisers, aka The Germans State Crown of 1871. It is, however, the spitting image for the 1806 Crown of Bavaria, first worn by Maxmilian I of Bavaria, after Napoleon made him king.

I am very certain that thats what these are.

Ok, why would this gun have the Prussian Crown and the Bavarian Crown on the water table? Maybe taxed in Prussia on manufacture, and then sold in Munich, tax paid there for sales or inventory?

Of course, then that raises the question of why would a VL & D gun, bound for market in the US, have both stamps, unless perhaps shipped through Bavaria and possibly taxed there in transit? Or perhaps these are customs marks?

Ok you knowlegeable folks... are these tax stamps?

Regards

GKT

Last edited by Greg Tag; 02/03/07 10:10 PM.

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."