I meant to add this sometime back but I'm going to post it before I forget. Schoverling, Daly & Gales searched for the best and brightest to help drive their firm. They advertised in Harvard & Yale publications and seemed to draw from those pools.

William Herbert Crawford passed the Harvard entrance exam a year early and was very active in athletics. Against the wishes of his family he left Harvard during his Sophomore year to join Schoverlnig, Daly & Gales where he remained until 1884, when he moved on to real-estate.

For now I can't say where William Sherer, Jr. was educated, but he learned from the best as he was an apprentice to Alonzo Alford, who is considered as a pioneer in the New York gun trade. In the early 1880s, William Sherer, Jr. joined the Schoverling, Daly & Gales firm and remained there till 1889 when he became an employee of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, where he remained for some 23 years. He was the Far East(Eastern portion of the world reached by ship) salesman.

Alonzo Alford was born on January 28th, 1837 to Ammi and Clarissa G. White Alford in Brooklyn, New York. Having 20 years, he began with A.G. Strong a Burlington hardware merchant. In 1863 he moved to New York and found employment at Merwin & Bray, which later became Merwin, Hulbert & Company. Somehow he migrated to the Ballard Rifle Manufacturing Company attaining the rank of treasure as well as manager. About the same time he was a founder in Alford, Berkele & Clapp which was a New York agent from Eliphalet Remington & Sons. In 1871 he held the position of general manager at the Eliphalet Remington & Sons New York warerooms. In 1878/1879 Eliphalet Remington & Sons experienced some sort of turmoil and Alonzo Alford purchased some part, maybe just the NY branch, which he owned for 2 years before selling it back. In 1881 he resigned and purchased a large interest in a Massachusetts tool and knife manufacture with New York warerooms, which in 1883 was incorporated as the Alford & Berkele Company.

I realize that neither of brothers Alford worked for Schovering, Daly & Gales, but bear with me as the relationships put the gun trade into perspective. Alonzo Alford's borther Albert Gallatin Alford was born on October 14th, 1847. Evidently one of their parents, or both, died while he was yet a boy. Bootstrapping himself thru a stint with the U.S. of A. Engineer Corps, he became the manager of Eliphalet Remington & Sons Chicago retail outlet and then the Baltimore wearroom from 1874 to 1883, when he founded the A.G. Alford Sporting Goods Company. And remember the Samuel Norris(Eliphalet Remington agent)-Mauser debacle.

Back to Schoverling, Daly & Gales and much later in 1899 after Charles Daly's death, on November 25th, 1899 Schoverling, Daly & Gales was incorporated by Jospeh Gales of Elizabeth, New Jersey, Ella Daly King of East Orange, New Jersey and Theodore William Stake of New York City. William Theodore Stake was born in 1861 in NY City but educated in London and then Canada. He was vice president in 1915 and VP, secretary & director in 1918 after Joseph Gales' expiring on June 3rd, 1916(born April 29th, 1847). Some concern, maybe S,D&G offered a scattergun with the tradename T.W. Stake.

Frederic J. Wilbur was a director in 1914.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse