As the 28 GA was viewed and written about by THE main man of the 1910s and 20s.
"The American Shotgun" - Charles Askins (the father) copyright 1910. My copy published in New York by THE MACMILLAN COMPANY 1930. Quoting from pages 150/151:
Machine loaded twenty-eight gauge cartridges are charged with from 1-3/4 to 2 drams of powder and 1/2 to 5/8 ounces of shot. Two drams and 5/8 ounces is the standard load, usually with eight shot for quail, though some prefer numbers nine or ten. Should the arm be anything but a full-choke, the tens might be preferable in order to thicken the pattern, but the small pellets are liable to send a good many birds away crippled. Unquote. Case length is not mentioned.
And quoting from "Modern Shotguns and Loads", by Charles (the father) Askins, pages 91/92 reprinted in 1992 by Wolfe Publishing Company, originally published in 1929 by Small Arms Technical Publishing. Quote:
Within its limitations I can see nothing wrong with the 28 bore. If it were ever to become highly poppular I think it would be in a pump gun which is not to be had now. I'd like to own a 28 bore pump myself. The 28 gage should have been chambered for 2-7/8 inch shells and should have thrown 3/4 ounce of shot. Many of the factories insisted that the correct charge was 5/8 ounce of shot, in 2-1/2 inch cases, but the shooter objects to so light a shot charge, and if the ammunition makers insist upon furnishing it and nothing heavier, they will do away with the 28 bore. Unquote. There follows another paragraph of Father Askins' anecdotal comments and educated opinions.
Hope this helps.