Being an (ex) university professor, I naturally have a literary bent. On this topic, I quote Michael McIntosh (_Best Guns_, 264-265):

"... you can wear out a bolting system [of a shotgun] without ever firing a shot; all you have to do is close it shut enough times. Unfortunately, one of the greatest myths among the misinformed is that you can judge the quality of a gun by how resoundingly it clangs shut when you slam the barrels up. All it really proves is that there's a powerful spring behind the bolt. The stronger the spring, the less slamming it takes to erode the bearing surfaces and produce a poor old gun that rattles like a bad set of teeth.

The proper way to close a break-action gun is to hold the top latch with your right thumb, close the action and "ease" the latch over until the bolt takes hold. With a bit of practice, it can be done quickly and smoothly, and it won't slow you down in even the busiest shooting. But you seldom see anyone doing it, and that's why you need to look for worn out bolts in a gun you might want to buy."

I have read most of McIntosh's books, and I have found him to be the epitome of common sense in all but a few issues. I, for one, would not want to second-quess him on how to treat a shotgun. Obviously, Dez' technique is a variation on this theme.