The system is that of Lefaucheux with an added barrel lock.
Wikipedia is Johnny on the spot with a German language version of the history of Johann Springer. Here's a forced translation from http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh._Springer%E2%80%99s_Erben (copy & paste) :
"The company history extends back to the 1830s. At that time, let the gunsmith Mathias Nowotny from Hradec Kralove down in Vienna. In 1836 he was authorized to practice his profession. He quickly became successful and was able to find the shop in the Josefstadt a branch on the vine-im-Eisen-Platz 5 in the 1st District building. In 1856 he shot himself, however, and his widow sold a year later the business to John Springer.
John Springer was from Leutschach in Upper Hungary, and came as an engraver to Vienna. He mastered the art of the arms of the noble metal engraving in fine customers. He also learned the gunsmith and later married Catherine Nowotny, the sister of Mathias Nowotny. Springer worked for 15 years Nowotny, whose confidence he enjoyed. After the death of Nowotny and the takeover of the company, in 1857 he changed the company name to "John Springer, formerly Mathias Nowotny" around.
He specialized in the production of luxury hunting weapons , and won by the quality of the products several medals at exhibitions. The Emperor was one of the regulars and 1872 gave him this title imperial chamber , a higher markup than the Hoflieferantentitel.
John Springer died in 1875 and his widow had to run the company while seven children are concerned. The sons and Gustav Rudolf Springer completed their training as part of the company Brandlín in Birmingham, later took over the company in 1888 and changed the name to "Johann Springer's Erben. In the same year had the old house on a stick-in-place iron Springer leave as it is for the new Palais Equitable should be demolished.
The brothers Rudolf and Gustav Springer could establish the factory on. The products were awarded the Golden Austrian State Prize and other awards at international exhibitions like the 1908 Grand Prix of Monte Carlo. In the 1930s, Springer was appointed royal purveyors of Monaco.
The kuk Hoflieferantentitel was again awarded 1911th In addition to the emperor and the imperial court as Archduke Franz Ferdinand and Archduchess Maria Theresa, the company had with its customers many noble families, including Liechtenstein , Esterházy , Coburg and Orlowski . Business was good and in 1912 the company had one million gold crowns over debts. Springer had his own factory and display at the Joseph Lane 10 in the 8th District and three local sale in Vienna, including the Stock-im-Eisen Platz 5 in under 1 District and Mariahilf. The branch on the 1st District later moved to the address pit 10 around.
The First World War and the collapse of the monarchy brought the company on hard times. During the Second World War the company had to include parts for the V2 weapons manufacturers.
After the second world war were to continue to produce guns. Customers have included Soviet Marshal Konev, General Kaltschenko, allied officers and big-game hunter Ernst twin . In 1949, Johann Springer's daughter Margaret's business. The weapons production had to be finally set in December 1955. The trade in weapons remained a line of business, with industrial customers were like. However, the debt grew and in 1958 had the heiress of the family estate and the factory, sell it to stabilize the finances.
On 1 April 2008, Christian Johann Springer's company of his mother Margaret Weixelbraun. On Kagranerplatz eight branch was extended: it now leads hunting and sporting weapons, military, pistols and reloading products to 370 square feet. The former stores the trench 10 and the Habsburg lane 8 were transferred to the Weihburggasse 27. At 700 square feet on three floors hunting weapons are new or used available. In addition to the traditional segment of arms for hunting and sporting weapons, military, pistols and reloading products, the company is expanding into other areas and has been autumn hunting trips and weapons auctions in 2008."
Very interesting how there seems to be such a talent pool in Hungary. I think Feodor Osipovitch Matska was born in Hungary or in the Bohemian region. The students learn their craft and the head to where the money is at the center of the Austro-Hungarian empire, which really formed just prior to the making of this example, circa 1867, but still Wien a top spot for separating the elite from their funds.