Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
Michael, I've seen several drillings and one vierling with the top-mounted trap, but never a single trapdoor! Is the trap shown on the rifle a recognizable one, correct for the rifle, or is it a one-of-a-kind example?
Regards, Joe

The first Springfield cartridge trap I remember was on a Officers Model in the Archer L. Jackson collection. Mr. Jackson had a wonderful collection of single-shots that included a half-dozen or more Trapdoor Officers Models. The auction was in 2,1982 and I still have the catalog. There are two pictures of this rifle but you can not see the detail. His had a dog head engraved on the trap.

The second one I looked at was at a large gun-show but not Vegas , possibly Denver. This was on a nice officers Model and was engraved but no dog.

I also remember one more towards the comb but don't remember if it was a Officers Model or not.

I believe that these are a refined "Stillman Quick Loader" adapted to the Officers Model. Springfield tried a Cartridge trap as far back as the 50-70 Trapdoor. They also made some that had a compartment in the same spot for tools.

I believe that the cartridge trap on the rifle at auction is correct and installed by Springfield Armory.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014