Just stumbled across a pretty nice LC Smith Damascus hammer 12 today. Original case color is at least 90% and barrel pattern is 90% except for some blood etching on one barrel, so would probably need a refinish. Gun is on the rack as a 20 ga because the barrels have been internally sleeved to 20 ga. Chamber inserts appear to be a very precise fit, and the internal sleeves run all the way to the muzzles, with about a .005" rebate at the muzzle. Chamber and barrel sleeves appear to be steel, not aluminum, but I was told that these barrels were sleeved by Purbaugh. They appear to be somewhat permanently installed, but no visible solder or bedding compound. They don't look like any Purbaugh tubes I have ever seen. Aside from the blood etching on the barrel, the only problems with the gun are weight (8-1/4lbs), a crushed butt pad, and price ($1500 asking, so about $1700 out the door). I think it's an $800 gun, but the case color is very nice so I'll watch it as it languishes on the rack.

Does anybody recognize the tubes as I have described them? Could they be Purbaugh?

Edit: This gun is within driving distance of the old Purbaugh shop, so...?

Last edited by Replacement; 12/23/10 01:26 AM.