Hello all. Given the expert knowledge on here, I thought forum members may be interested to see some pictures of my first double-eight gauge, born of four years of searching, learning and hard saving! I am delighted and looking forward to using this actively on the marshes and foreshores on the UK as soon as I possibly can. Thanks to Dig for his help on this.

The pictures don't do it justice, but the eight is by Edward Paton of Perth (44 George St and "Maker to the Prince Consort"), is a bar action hammergun with non-rebounding hammers, Jones underlever, 32 inch Damascus barrels (original) and est. manufacture between 1875 and 1885 (I think the earlier of the dates given its hammers). The gun weighs 12lbs, so certainly not overly heavy but swingable to the shoulder, 3 1/4 chambers, London nitro-proofed and barrel thicknesses/measurements more than adequate. As perhaps expected of its age, it has only cylinder barrels, but using plastic wads carefully in my homeloads should allow me to emulate 1/4 to 1/2 choke.

The Paton has been well looked after with little wear, has a decent amount of original colour remaining throughout, and chambers/barrels are in excellent condition with no pitting/ring bulging. Locks are in good condition and the st-hand stock retains its original metal butt plate, still with some colour to it. Now to start using her as intended - likely with 2oz loads to begin with.

Any thoughts/owners of Patons out there by the way?

Last edited by CBL1; 12/13/10 07:29 AM.