Maybe "unwinding" was a poor or incorrect choice of word for a failure or venting leak that followed the pattern welds. I do have a twist barrel H Lefever that has a small visible hole at mid point around the forearm that does appear to follow the twist on the exterior. But there is also heavy pitting in that region on the interior that probably started the failure. What I was trying to convey is that, from what I've read, when Damascus fails there is bulging and possible venting along the lines of the pattern, but not the sharp splitting and fragmenting we see with blown fluid steel tubes. Supposedly, the greater ductility of either the iron or steel, I can't recall which, prevents rupturing across the bands, but instead follows the weaker welds. Again, this is from what I've read and fortunately, I haven't personally experienced it. Compared to some of you guys, I'm still in kindergarten, but happy to be corrected and eager to learn more. That's why I said I'd like to see and hear much more about what actually happens when Damascus does fail. Thanks for those links Drew. I've said before that I accidentally fired some high dram equivalent loads in a grade 2 L.C. Smith that was reblued Damascus that sure looked fluid. This was before I knew it was not wise to shoot modern loads in vintage doubles. And I know a guy who accidentally fired heavy 3" mag turkey loads in a short chambered twist Lefever H grade gun with no ill effects. All in all, cheap Damascus on cheap guns probably did cause most of the bad rap, while the poor designs and inferior materials that led to these same cheap guns shooting loose at a rapid rate did not carry over to their better made counterparts. This is always a fascinating subject and I hope others will weigh in.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.