Interesting thread regarding the disposition of suicide guns. It so happens that my younger brother owns a Rem. 870 that was once used for that purpose. A neighbor/friend of mine (and a somewhat troubled soul) got drunk one night, got in a fight with his girlfriend, then put the muzzle under his chin and pulled the trigger to "show her". A few months later, my Dad got a call from the father of the deceased friend. He lived out-of-state and we'd never met him until the funeral. He said that our local Sheriff's office had contacted him about the gun and asked what he wanted done with it (investigation was now complete). He knew no one else in our state but us, and asked if we'd like to have it, or if we might know someone who could use it. Neither my Dad nor myself could come to grips with the idea of owning it, but my younger brother had not known the deceased (he was away at college when the friend moved into our community) and did not own a shotgun at the time. So my Dad accepted it for my brother, and the father of the deceased instructed our local Sheriff's Dept. to release the gun to my Dad. Interestingly, at that point the gun "disappeared", and my Dad was told the gun had been destroyed some time ago (total BS, since the friend's father had just gotten the call a day before). My Dad happened to know the actual Sheriff somewhat, so he asked him if he would look into it. The gun magically re-appeared within a few days. (Surely some Deputy thought he was getting a free gun until the boss started sniffing around). My brother still owns and hunts with that gun every year (and it is still his only shotgun).