A lighter gun would have been a better fowling piece for the job actually. At about 16 pounds, it isn't real fast handling and the shooting was. The moon wasn't full so the light wasn't the best, you could only see the geese as they were directly overhead. You had to keep the gun near ready when you heard them coming, throw on a fast lead and just pull two quick shots, sometimes after they'd passed into the dark. Hundreds of geese flew to my right and left that I never saw, I had shots at just a few flocks but did manage to hear that magic thump more than once I'm pleased to say.

I got to flight woodcock once in the dusk and dark too, that was equally amazing. I'd killed one on a drive earlier in the day and then managed to make a miracle shot at a long billed shadow just as everybody was starting to walk back to the vehicles so I can say I've killed them both of the classic ways. I wear the club pin of the syndicate I shot with on the collar of my jacket to this day. Everytime I run my finger across it I remember that moment like it happened yesterday.

If I've told either of those stories on here before you'll have to pardon me. The conversation just brought them to mind and I'm always willing to tell them again.

DLH

Last edited by MarketHunter; 10/06/10 05:52 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits