tut,

What Larry says is very true. There were very few who did the "hard research" on a broad level. I can think of only a few. Perhaps Joe Vorisek, Bothroyd, etc. Vorisek was amazing. I have his 3 volume work. Thousands of pages with reproduced catalogs, patents, etc.

In that regard the internet has been a boone. It can also lead to some sloppy work. People who "find it" on a website, therefore it must be true. I get some silly questions via email at times. Mainly from people who surfed it up. For instance, you can't shorten damascus barrels because they will unwind like a spring!

This site is very good. It gives the opportunity to not only ask questions, but also vet an idea. I would never had met or made contact with someone like EDM. We have had several long conversations about American produced damascus. Some times there are small facts that an author will discard that shed light for some one researching from a different angle. Only through a conversation do those come up.

The other bonus to this site are the number of serious collectors who are willing to share photos, information and experiences. It is always a pleasure when Roy or lagopus post on Brit guns, because they often include personal knowledge.

Pete