From the Italian Proof House
=================

PROVA DELLE ARMI

La procedura di controllo e di prova, a cui deve essere sottoposta ogni singola arma (la prova è individuale), viene eseguita in conformità alle norme C.I.P., e consiste in:
a) Controllo dei marchi distintivi, che consentono l'identificazione dell'arma (marchio di fabbrica, numero di matricola, n° catalogo se arma rigata e calibro).
b) Controllo della conformità al catalogo (L. 110/775): l'arma deve corrispondere al Catalogo Nazionale verificando che le caratteristiche dell'arma corrispondano a quelle riportate nella scheda pubblicata sulla Gazzetta Ufficiale.
c) Controllo visivo e di funzionamento in bianco.
d) Controllo dimensionale delle caratteristiche che interessano la sicurezza dell'utilizzatore.
e) Prova sparo di due cartucce, per ogni canna, che sviluppano una pressione di almeno il 25% superiore alla massima pressione delle cartucce commerciali. Per le armi provate per l'impiego delle cartucce con pallini di acciaio, si sparano 3 colpi per canna. Per i revolver si spara una cartuccia per camera.
f) Controllo dopo lo sparo: dopo lo sparo le armi vengono attentamente esaminate mediante un controllo visivo e con verificatori "non passa."
g) Punzonatura e registrazione dei dati: se un'arma ha superato tutte le prove precedenti, il Banco appone i punzoni in conformità alle normative C.I.P..

I dati inoltre, vengono riportati nel certificato di prova, che il Banco rilascia al presentatore, e li trattiene in copia.
L'archivio o banca dati del Banco di Prova, contiene i dati, relativi alle circa 40 milioni di armi provate dal 1920 ad oggi.

===========================

PROOF OF WEAPONS

The procedure for checking and testing, which must be submitted each weapon (the test equipment), is performed in compliance with CIP, and consists of:
a) Control of markingsthat enable the identification of the weapon (trademark, serial number, catalog No. if rifles and caliber).
b) Monitoring compliance catalog (L. 110 / 775): the weapon must be sure that the National Library to match the characteristics of those shown in the schedule published in the Official Gazette.
c) Visual and operating in white.
d) Dimensional checking the features that affect safety.
e) We shot two rounds of ammunition for each barrel, who develop a pressure of at least 25% above the maximum pressure cartridge business. For the weapons tested for the use of cartridges with steel shot, you shoot 3 rounds per barrel. For you shoot a revolver cartridge chamber.
f) control after the shot: after firing the weapons are carefully examined by visual inspection and verifiers "does not pass."
g) Punching and recording of data: if a weapon has passed all previous tests, the Bank shall affix punches in compliance with CIP.

The data also are reported in the test certificate, that the Bank shall deliver to the presenter, and holds them in copies.
The archive database or test bench, contains data relating to about 40 million weapons tested from 1920 to today.

===================
tut,

The pressure I stated above, 12,000 psi, was from Lee Kennett's article in the 1972 Gun Digest.

Gerhard Wirnsberger, "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" uses 12,801 psi and 17,637 psi respectively.

Kennett got his numbers from his correspondence with the Italian Proof house. Kennett states that on Nov 2, 1962 a minor change was introduced. A superior definitive smokeless proof was introduced, 17,600 psi. It was only mandatory on guns with chambers longer that 70mm. On 70mm and shorter it was optional. This proof is 2 stars over PSF.

Producing cerificates of proof without the gun is meaningless. We have no idea of the markings on said gun. We can see that your gun does not have the 2 stars over PSF mark.

Please be aware that historically, proof marks are very complex. Various proof houses implemented changing standards when they choose to based on their convenience. For instance, a change in the Brussels Convention occurred in 1912. The Liege proof house did not implement it until 1924. It is only very recently under the auspices of the European Union that change can be implemented evenly.

On a different note. The Italian Proof House can make you crazy at times. They supposedly use a date code, however, I have seen actual dates stamped on guns. Nothing in Italian proof law states that the barrel weight is stamped on the gun, yet I have seen examples that have the weight.

Pete