Quote:
theory that the shot string produced by the 28 is more compact

This is a "Myth" perpetrated by many but proven by none. If you put 3/4oz of shot down both 28 (.550") & 20 (.615") bores the column will be 20% shorter & have about 10½% less shot in contact with the bbl walls in the 20, both of which should result in less pellet deformation. I have yet to see a logical argument as to why a 28 should produce a "SHORTER SHOT STRING" in the air.
I once purchased the "Premier" issue of a new magazine devoted to shotguns. Contained in this issue was an article by a well known writer extolling the virtues of the 28. He based it mostly upon the "Square Load Theory" (Supposedly this results in a shorter shot string & better patterns) of the 28. He defined that Sq load as one in which the shot load equaled the wt of a round ball which fit the bore. (True definition of a "Square Load" is one in which the length of column in the bore is equal to it's dia) He correctly stated this round ball wt (in oz's) could be determined by dividing 16 by the gauge number & 16/28 ='d .57. He then Igonorantly stated this "Conclusively Proved" the 3/4oz load in the 28 made the "Perfect Square Load".
Now I'm just a TN Redneck HillBilly but I larned Decimal fractions enough Waaaay back in Grammer School to know that 3/4 = .75. Even though .57 & .75 contain the same two digits they're in different order & thus "They Ain't the Same".
So much for that Worthless Rag, never bought another.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra