So where does my 24 gauge fit in? I shoot either 3/4 or 7/8 ounces from it, mostly 7/8. Just splitting hairs......

Really, you can get quite a bit more energy on target with a 20 vs and 28 -- either more pellets of the same size or similar quantities of larger pellets, plus you can get more velocity within a given pressure limit with the larger bore. It all adds up to an effective range advantage as bores get larger. Go back and read some of the stuff by the Technoid (Bruce Buck), I think he talks about the handicap given to sporting clays shooters for the various gauges. You can also look at the class charts for NSSA skeet. Yeah sure lots of us shoot the 28 better than the 20 at skeet, I do, but the targets are close, and we're plenty well practiced. Anyway, small bores always boil down to less effective range for taking game or targets. I'd say a 28 costs 5 yards vs a 20, but most of us take our game no further than 30 yards, so the disadvantage is masked a bit. Some pattern and velocity(energy)testing would answer the question.

Don't kid yourself about 28's performing as well as 20's. Physically impossible. They are awfully pleasant to look at and shoot, though, depending on the individual gun. 28's a nice number, I like it, and I really want to shoot it well, so maybe that has something to do with it -- that and the fact I've gotten quite tired of looking at monotonous yellow shells. You can get more 28's in your pocket, too!