Jim, I can't claim the knowlege that I initially tried to find when I posted this--which is how to DETERMINE the correct pitch for something more than just comfort--but I will say that when I was doing patterning with a pattern-stock in preparation for duplicating it I tried cutting the butt perpendicular to the comb. However, I never got the results I was looking for, as my results tended to be somewhat erratic and it made it quite difficult to make adjustments to the stock and correlate them to the pattern board. I went back and re-measured some guns that I shot well, and based on that I finally got more CONSISTENT results when I adjusted the pitch so my stock was a bit longer in the toe. I still find this element of fit to be one that perplexes me more than the rest since I really just stumbled onto what works for me, but I have come to believe that pitch DOES play a role in determining correct fit more than just comfort, albeit it seems to be a variable that merely aids in consistency of mount or in "allowing the other variables of fit to do their job", rather than DIRECTLY affecting POI. I believe cast at the toe to be of similar importance, just for example--it doesn't affect where my head sits on the stock, but it does allow me to get the most out of the rest of my fitting work and based on the improved consistency that results it does have an effect on where the gun hits. I'm pretty tall and have found that I shoot much better and more consistently with a stock that's quite a bit longer than normal--perhaps this makes me at one extreme and possibly more likely to see a difference than others?

This is my very rudimentary understanding of it, at least for today--in short that the correct pitch affects comfort but also is an aid to a consistent mount. I remain very unschooled in this, but that's my story thus far and I'm sticking to it. (for now)

Last edited by David Furman; 03/20/10 08:55 PM.