This is an acquisiton of Clay's and of course ole Engeleert Clever from Cologne on the Rhine was a firearms merchant, but at one time had to have been a master. I think it was made in Zella-Mehlis circa 1920 by "H.F." as stamped on the frame, right tube in Fraktur and on the forend lug. A question I have, and I'm sure I have many more, is why are the initials on the tube in Fraktur while the others are standard. In addition to Fraktur, script is sometimes used. Was it related to the early inspectors' marks on military examples from the arsenals like Potsdam, marks which were a "Crowned" Fraktur letter? Was there some unwritten, or written, rule that stated the letters on the tubes were different than on the frame or forend lug?

Each tube has the Louis Kelber stamp, somewhat worked off, of a "K" in a jagged circle(set) below the "Imperial Eagle" "Crown" over "S" stamps. I don't know the tube steel type. Also the stamp on the bar on the frame looks to be "K. SL". The "D" on the lower rib just might be for Zella-Mehlis component source Brothers Decker. I like the "Lindner" style safety bar.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse