So, Ken's barrel's sat for 2 years, untouched, while everyone else's work was done as fast as the boxes could be opened. If the work was of a nature that the shop could not do promptly, they should have said so. That would have been the end of the discussion.
When I ran a tool shop, we had a range of tool makers. Apprentices to masters. Some guys only did some stuff. Some weren't very good at some things. Our schedule was based on who could do what, and how long it should take. We did not take work that the right people could not get done by the required delivery date.
I expect every gunsmith I work with to understand this, and respect it. Some don't like that, and I DON'T CARE.
It is no crime to say, I cannot get to it, I cannot do it, I don't want to do it. And there are those who will say, "I don't want to do it for you."
Honesty is the best policy.
Answering the phone is better yet.
Setting desk time aside to do that stuff, and tell all your customers, "I only do desk time from 7:00am until 10:30am, then I am in the shop", is better yet. Every craftsman has only time to sell. Customers should work to not waste the craftsman's time.
Waving cash around just makes you look like a beggar.

I'm glad Ken is back to zero. Now he can move ahead. There is peace in the valley.

Out there doing it best I can.