I've seen several guns, my Tobin included, that featured forcing "steps", not cones at all. The gun was produced somewhat early in the last century, and, whoever ordered it must not have read Frank Major Tobins report and opinion that most shooters would be better off with minimal choke in their gun, since it had about .039 and .045 constrictions in the 28 inch barrels. Maybe it was a duck gun in a former life? A 16 gauge duck gun?
Well, it isn't now. The original pistol grip stock of ho-hum walnut featured 3 1/2" of luscious drop, perfect for all you 4' neanderthals out there, but, useless for me. Whoever thinks you can hunt early season grouse in western WI or eastern MN with chokes or a stock like that, I'm going to guess hasn't done it.
Things change. Our powder isn't an explosive anymore, plastic shot cups came along, and those two things alone eliminated the need for most forms of choke. Pattern testing before and after with my old gun revealed a startling difference, plus, the ends weren't ripped off the fired rounds, leaving jagged plastic hulls suitable only for loading 2" 16 gauge ammunition.
My late Father had a fasination with gee-gaw plastic shotgun sights, likely brought about by Marine Corps training that gave him proficiency with his rifle far beyond what is typical for foot soldiers. I didn't share it, and just quietly removed them when he didn't need his guns anymore.
Would I modify the Tobin again? Absolutely. It wasn't Roosevelt's gun, after all. It didn't go to Africa in a documented safary of some sort.
Most of them don't. A lot of people don't seem to realize that, however.
It's a gun. Shoot it. Your history and memories should be more important to you then some gun's history.
Best,
Ted